Monday, April 2, 2012

Rat's Nest Hair

I'm totally loving this Pinteractive challenge from Nanette at "Say It, Don't Spray It." If you're not familiar, the idea is to actually try the things you're pinning (at least some of them). Get it, Pinteractive? Today's inspiration came from a couple of different of recent pins on Pinterest. Here:
http://pinterest.com/pin/54395107969463228/
And here:
http://pinterest.com/pin/54395107969016499/

And the fact that, like an idiot, I cut my bangs AGAIN and am growing them out AGAIN. I've kind of patented the "Becca Braid." A french braid pulling just the front of my hair back and into a pony or bun. I decided to add some style to the Becca Braid/bun combo and came up with this.


I decided it looks like a rat's nest, but, you know, in a good way. Here's how I did it, in case you want to look like a rat made a nest on your head, but in a good way.

First, I did a Becca Braid. Start with a deep part and pull back and clip the hair you want to leave out, out of your way. When I braid, I only add hair from the front, not like a traditional french braid, where you add hair on one side and then on the other. I find it easier to keep out the unwanted hair (keeping the part straight) and makes the braid twist forward a bit making it more pronounced.

I braided all the way to the end and put a small elastic to hold it.

Next, make three low ponytails in back (one should include the end of your braid). I didn't make parts in this step, so it wouldn't show after making the rat's nest.

Take small sections of each pony and twist to form a loop. Pin it in place to hold the loop. I did about 3-4 loops with each pony, including looping the braid itself. I also made one little braid in each section to pull together the style.

Tada! My new favorite style. Rat's nest, but in a good way.


Here's a close-up of the Becca Braid. BTW - Have you ever tried taking a picture of the back of your head?
I rocked this last week with my sundress and sandals (it was 80 degrees) and today, I'm rocking it with jeans, boots, sweater and scarf (because it's Colorado and the weather here can change on a dime).

Nannersp

No comments:

Post a Comment