Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"Mom! Meatloaf!"

Greg and the boys were waiting for me to finish getting ready the other morning. They apparently couldn't wait for Jamba Juice. Someone needs to tell them that beauty takes time. Geez.

Next thing I know, they are yelling up the stairs, "Mom! Meatloaf!" Like the scene in Wedding Crashers. That Will Ferrell is hilarious. My hubby, not so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID8B1Vn3YWg

I bought the supplies to make it and tonight was the night. This morning, I thought I can make this in the crock pot, right? It's been in there for about five hours now and WOW! does my house smell amazing.

I checked out a couple of online recipes and wasn't very impressed. I never follow a recipe exactly - it's a blessing and a curse (since I can never make it exactly the same again. Here's what I did.

Ingredients:
1.5 pounds of ground beef (mine was 97 percent fat free)
3/4 can of Italian diced tomatoes (with garlic, oregano and basil)
1 egg beaten
1 small can tomato sauce
A couple handfuls of Italian bread crumbs (probably about a cup)
Palmful of dried minced onions
Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese

Mix everything together (except for the tomato sauce). I drained some of the liquid off the tomatoes and only used 3/4 of the can.

Form into a loaf shape and place in crock pot.

Pour tomato sauce (you can probably use ketchup too) over the top.

Cook on low for about six hours.

I dumped off some of the moisture at about four and a half hours.

Verdict: Yum. I'm adding veggies and mashed potatoes. Can't wait for meatloaf sandwiches with the left overs tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment