Sunday, June 19, 2011

Totally Inspired

So, my friend, KS got me hooked on pinterest.com. It's pretty freaking awesome, if you haven't checked it out. Anyway, there are so many amazing DIY pins on there that I'm inspired to blog about some of my own. I've been pretty lax as of late in posting on my blog, but I'm hoping this new inspiration keeps me going.

I'm going to start with my latest DIY project and will later document some of my older ones.

For Father's Day, I decided I wanted to make the hubs a new tire cover for our camper. If you've been camping with us lately, you'll know that the whole fam wears these silly "Happy Camper" t-shirts (stay tuned for a future post on how I altered mine).

I was inspired by a sticker my sis-in-law gave my husband for Christmas a couple years ago. It's based on the Colorado license plate.

I picked up some vinyl at the local fabric store, a leather needle for my machine and some heavy duty thread. You can use a Sharpie to write on the back of the fabric and it won't show through. I typed up the letters "HAPPY CAMPER" and printed them off on my computer. After cutting them out and tracing them (backwards) on the vinyl, I cut out each letter, pinned them in place and stitched them down. Since I don't usually sew on anything other than cotton fabric, it took a bit of adjusting to get the machine to sew correctly.

The old tire cover measured 24 inches in diameter, so I worked with a circle cut about 25 inches. I added the sides and a small track for tightening it around the tire.

Here's the final product. We'll be the most styling campers on our next trip in a couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment