Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I’m just sayin’

Does taking your kids to a restaurant (I’m using this term loosely) with a play area give you permission to completely ignore them? It seems that every time I take the boys to Chick-Fil-A the play area is filled with the most obnoxious kids.

The play area is separate from the rest of the place. It’s in a separate room with a big window, which I assume people use to “watch” their kids. Today, as usual, I’m the only parent in there and overhear some kids talking about playing a game where they will kick other kids down the slide. One of my pet peeves is when kids go up a blind slide, and Parker will even “remind” them to go the right way, but kicking kids down the slide? Seriously?

I calmly told them that they needed to be a bit more careful when the little guys were playing and that I didn’t think their “game” was a good idea. It’s not my job to parent these kids and I’m sure some parents would be mad at me for doing it, but I don’t want to be the one carrying Parker out of there crying because he got hurt.

I don’t want to be a “helicopter mom” or put my kids in a bubble. Is it too much to ask for a little common decency?

It seems these kids took my “advice” to heart because after lunch, they invited Parker to play (albeit as the “bad guy”).

No comments:

Post a Comment